Thursday, October 16, 2008

Slash: Guitar Hero

While waiting in line for a beer at the Metal Master's tour this summer, I was fortunate enough to observe some of the geekery that can only happen between music fans. More specifically, drunk music fans: one drunk guy yelling at another drunk guy wearing a Guitar Hero t-shirt that "we need to make sure we teach kids how to play real instruments, or the sort of shit that's going on over there [gesturing towards the stage] won't have a future." I thought of that man and his anti-Guitar Hero crusade (I shudder to think of what he would say about the Air Guitar Championships) when reading this story from a Rolling Stone interview with Slash:

Has the huge success of Guitar Hero boosted your rep even further?
Yeah, but the flip-side of that is I met this kid who came up to me and was blown away by the fact I was the guy in the Guitar Hero game, and he kept going on about that. Ten minutes later he goes, “Do you play real guitar?”
Ouch, dude. Maybe Mr. Drunk Music Fan has a point...or maybe that kid needs to get out of the house more.

Via Kotaku

No comments: