Thursday, April 29, 2010

Images for "Cancer"

Throwdown isn't exactly what you'd call an innovative band - as I pointed out when I first heard Venom & Tears two years ago, when they don't sound like Lamb of God, they sound like Pantera - but I like to give the album a spin every once in a while. When I do, I'm always struck by how different the instrumental track "Cancer" sounds from the rest of the tracks: all of the aggression falls by the wayside for two minutes as a slightly fuzzed guitar picks out a sad, simple melody, augmented by the sounds of distant traffic. The title helps immensely: the title "Cancer" gives focus to the song's potential imagery, moving it from a collection of sounds to an aural depiction of a drab hospital room with a window somewhere near a highway, its single occupant rotting from the inside, betrayed by his cells into an early death alone. The late afternoon winter sun slants through the window and slowly sinks into darkness.

No comments: