Friday, April 16, 2010

Gods of War in the Urban Parkscape

Getting myself up in the morning to go do anything more active than (slowly) put one foot in front of the other takes some real effort, so those days when I go out to run in the nearby park require some extra motivation. This morning's choice was Amon Amarth's With Oden On Our Side, a archetypal piece of Viking Metal if ever one existed, perfect for the task of turning a pleasant urban parkscape into something a little more bad ass.

(Keep in mind that I'm someone who runs more as a means to an end than because I love running, so I need a little theatricality or I get bored. For example, while "Runes To My Memory" was playing and the narrator was battling a spear wound to the back, I was battling a headwind. I love that shit.)

Take the opening track, "Valhall Awaits Me": it's about as fast as Amon Amarth ever gets, the music is dynamic, and the lyrics are a first person view of kicking ass in a battle. When I'm trying to get motivated to do something physical, that's about all the inspiration I need.



Or maybe you're on your way back after a long workout and you're trying to keep your energy up enough to make it home before you collapse. "Gods of War Arise" makes a perfect fit: it's got a steady, not too fast beat, and it's about killing and enslaving peasants in a successful raid/blood sacrifice with a nice tie-in between the coming of Viking ships and the coming of cold death, which dovetails nicely with how I feel after a workout.

5 comments:

atanamar said...

WOOOS is my urban warfare music. It's my soundtrack of choice for storming down 42nd street in Manhattan to my work, trying to contain my pedestrian rage at the tourists stumbling about during rush hour. WOOOS is also my favorite Amon Amarth album. I still can't get enough of it. I imagine it would work wonders for running, if I ran. Can't wait to see these guys live again in a couple of weeks.

Eric said...

Exactly! You can apply it to pretty much any mundane situation with excellent results. It's like the red pepper flakes of music.

E.Bleak said...

Oh dear, I just saw Amon Amarth this past weekend at the New England Metal/Hardcore Fest and they were frickin' amazing, and, I imagine, a great pacer. (They have the best ever backdrops, too.)

I'm couchlocked for a few weeks after hurting myself running (learn from my mistake, don't use "barefoot shoes") and taking the time to beef up my running playlist. Looks like there's some more AA added to the pile. :)

Just found this site, it's awesome so far. Welcome to my blogroll! :)

Eric said...

Thanks! Happy to return the favor...

Islander said...

I'm still mentally re-living the Amon Amarth show in Seattle not long ago. And I thought I was an AA fan before that! Like you, I've since been finding all sorts of things for which WOOOS is the perfect accompaniment.