Monday, July 02, 2007

Metal Mutability

My wife and I had a party at our apartment this past weeend, which isn't relevant to this blog except that it means lots of cleaning, which in turn means I spend time listening to music and pontificating while my hands get the manual labor done. On Saturday my wife was out for the day, so I had the place to myself while I cleaned up the kitchen. To keep me company, I loaded up the stereo with Black Sabbath's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Nirvana's In Utero (in that order) and soon fell to thinking about Sabbath's influence on Nirvana and then - just to make things interesting - metal's mutability.

By mutability, I mean the music's incredible ability to successfully meld with almost any other style of Western music you throw at it, making metal like type O negative blood, the universal music donor. Think about it: how many different types of metal can you describe just by combining metal and some other type of music, like mixing chemicals in a vial? Here's a few I came up with off the top of my head:
  • Thrash: metal and punk rock.
  • Grunge: also metal and punk rock, but Sabbath-style 70s metal instead of 80s style NWOBHM metal.
  • Hair Metal: take metal, glam and pop, mix together, shake vigorously. Serve with a cocaine chaser off the back of a stripper.
  • Rap Metal: mix metal and rap. Spend years ripping off Rage Against the Machine. Be proud of it.
  • Metalcore: metal and hard core. Metal and punk rock mixes tend to be very popular, because punk is almost as diverse as metal.
  • Progressive Metal: metal and classical or jazz, depending on the artists. Not the same as jazz fusion.
  • Industrial Metal: metal and the more hardcore aspects of electronica. Can't see the same thing happening with house music, though.
See, isn't this fun?

No comments: